Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Thao rai!

Isn't it supposed to be cooler, the more north you go? Today has been my temple spotting day in Chiang Mai, but now I'm having a siesta on the computer to escape the heat. Chiang Mai is beautiful. I stay in a cute guest house in the narrow streets of the old city. The old city is an square shaped area surrounded by water and a wall built to protect it from the Burmese. The city is touristic but it has a lovely vibrant vibe and the old town is really cute.

My trip in Thailand started with the fullmoon party. It was definitely an experience! Me and Sandra had really much fun painting ourselves with bodypaint and then we headed to the beach to party. This fullmoon party wasn't the busiest one but there were definitely enough people for me! The beach was crammed with people dancing, downing buckets and playing with burning skipping ropes. We had an really authentic experience since someone broke in to our bungalow while we were partying. But luckily we had heard that that can happen and had everything valuable in a safe. Next day we switched to a beach resort to the other side of the island where we relaxed at the beach and pool for a few days.


Lunch at the beach
Koh Phangan
FULLMOON PARTY!
Next stop was Krabi. Sandra wanted to stay in a hotel and me with my smaller budget in a hostel so our ways departed. In Krabi itself there was nothing to see, but I met a few French people with whom we went to Railey beach. We had a awesome day climbing down to a peaceful lagoon and then chilling on the beaches of Railey and Aonang. In Krabi I also tried rock climbing. That was awesome! Hard work also though, after the first climb already my hands were all shaky. For me Southern Thailand was a weird experience, since I heard Finnish several times and in Aonang they even had some shop names in Finnish.

Rock climbing in Railey - yes it's me!

I needed to renew my visa and heard that you could do that in Maesot. I was sceptical how it works but it was really easy. Maesot was a small town with lots of foreigners going there to do voluntary work in Burmese refugee camps. To get a new stamp I just had to pay a bit to get a day visa for Myanmar and then after wondering around in the country, walk over the bridge back to Thailand.

Maesot temple and Vicky taking a pic

Now it's almost the end of my trip. A week to go anymore. Right now I'm really happy to go back home. It's actually really tiring to haggle about everything and to be careful in every situation not to be cheated. My list of places to visit has certainly not become smaller while travelling but now I'm excited of the thought of going to study next fall. And I'm really excited of getting an own apartment and living a steady life for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment